Sunday, March 12, 2006

The greatest ODI ever



Everything is possible. I always say it. The outcome of a cricket match is not over until it's official, and today it was proved.


With no team ever having passed the 400 mark in a one day cricket match, Australia stunned my beloved South Africa with a gigantic 434, this world record was held by Australia for a few hours only.

South Africa came out to bat, and lost a wicket straight away - Thank heavens. I love all the players on the team, but Herschelle Gibbs, one of the best opening batsmen in the world should open the batting for South Africa, I haven't for one second agreed with the decision to push him down the order. Gibbs made a point. Virtually opening the batting in the end, he made 175, bettering Australian captain Ricky Ponting's innings earlier of 164.

South Africa won by one wicket with one ball to spare, scoring the new world record for the highest total in a one day international: 438.

South African selectors and captain - swallow your pride, Herschelle Gibbs belongs in one place in any form of the game - Opening the innings.

The joy overwhelms me, although unfortunately I didn't get to see the match as the series isn't broadcast here, I followed the scorecard live on the internet. Even more unfortunately I won't get to celebrate, how I wish I was in Johannesburg right now.

Links:
South Africa VS Australia, 12th of March 2006 - Scorecard

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home