Thursday, February 23, 2006

Paris on my mind

Since the third season of American Idol started showing here I have been following the show, and successfully guessed who the winner would be at a relatively early stage. This season, whether successfully or not, I have made my guess as early as before the audition was shown.

At the end of one of the first episodes, as always, they showed some highlights of the next episode. When seeing one of the highlights, I immediately declared that this young girl that I got a short look at reminded me somewhat of Billie Holiday, and that she was going to win. Full of anticipation of seeing "the girl whose going to win", when I watched the next episode I discovered that the girl's name is Paris Bennett. Apparently she is the granddaughter of singer Ann Nesby. Paris was outstanding in her audition. One of the songs she sang was an "unsung" Billie Holiday song - Take Five. Singing this just showed her class, which most likely comes from a musical family. I can't believe that Miss Bennett (I'm reading Pride and prejudice right now...) has not been discovered yet, especially coming from a musical family. My grandmother suggested that perhaps her family has been shielding her from show business. I can't imagine this being the case, as unless she insisted to go on the show, it is quite an experience to go from where she was to singing in front of millions, even though the show has a way of holding the singers hands and helping them into the world of performing. Whatever the case for some, in her first full performance on the show, she was as comfortable as grip on a cricket bat.

I have always said that in some way an American Idol winner isn't likely to be as famous as someone who was discovered because they are so bloody good - well Paris who I was delighted to discover comes from Georgia, will break this stigma.
Like the Brown Thrasher bird that symbolizes the state of Georgia, Paris Bennett will symbolize her country's music as the next American Idol.

Links:
Paris Bennett Audition (Quick Time)
Official American Idol website


***Happy Birthday Dad***

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home