Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Good Night, and Good Luck.

I have just watched the amazing "Good Night, and Good Luck." again.

I will compliment George Clooney and his colleagues, by over analyzing and comparing what I took from this movie to what I've taken from George Orwell. I feel, that in Animal Farm and in Nineteen Eighty-Four, Orwell pointed out the lack of freedom of some, and the taking of that freedom by others, by showing that situation and criticizing it, rather than criticizing the certain societies who apply it, which is often brought up in conversation. I don't find that George Orwell took any political stand on the world stage, but rather a stand against the lack of politics – the lack of democracy, and the lack of freedom. The strongest point in the film in my opinion was made by Ed Murrow who was played by David Strathairn: Murrow had said that they have to do what they were doing – the terror was right in that room. That is my take on what Clooney did here, and although if I am correct, it probably runs a lot deeper, I greatly appreciate what was done here, and of course – the movie.

In Good Night, and Good Luck. George Clooney shows us, points out to us, that even in these modern times, even when more than 15 years have passed since The Cold War ended, the threat of being incarcerated is always there. The threat of our freedom being taken away from us, or never even being given to us, is always there. The threat of us taking freedom away, is always there. We must watch ourselves, and each other – for no one else will. Here comes to mind a second point that Murrow made in the movie: we are to blame for our lack of freedom.

The way the movie was made is inventive. There were basically only two locations – the studio, and the (archive) footage in the studio. It resembles a documentary somewhat. More than anything though, this movie is about journalism, and for that it is great.

I had selected this as the second best and probably my second favorite movie of 2005 – although there are more to watch, for there are always more to watch I definitely still feel this way.

George Clooney is right up there, with Orson Wells, Clint Eastwood and other great actors/directors. He didn't get what he deserved, not even in the other awards. Nominations and Supporting Actor awards for other movies are not good enough for this man, but then again he's better than the awards, all of them.

Links:
Good Night, and Good Luck. on IMDB
George Clooney on Larry King Live 1

George Clooney on Larry King Live 2

What I wrote about the Academy Awards this year:
Pre-awards
Post-awards

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home